Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, February 15, 2010

Mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy!


Well, this latest phase of life with a toddler has certainly been, well, interesting.  The 'Terrible Twos' might be the most appropriate moniker I've ever heard of.  Eli has pretty much been a snotty mess for a month straight, with a couple ear infections and who knows what else sprinkled in there.  Just this morning he told me his belly hurt.  I really want to get past this winter and its germs with all speed.  We don't know if it's the sickness or what, but lately he's had plenty of crazy tantrums and has taken to waking up at 5 in the morning screaming.  All of this has come at the same time as a hardcore mommy phase.  Some of our exchanges are downright ridiculous.

Eli:  I want some milk!
Dad:  Ok, I'll get you some.
Eli:  NO!
Dad:  You just asked me for milk.
Eli:  I want mommy to get it!
Dad:  Well, I've already made it.  Here you go.
Eli:  NO!  MOMMY DO IT!  *throws sippy cup across room*
Mom:  *picks up milk*  Here, Eli.
Eli:  I don't want the milk!
Mom:  Alright, I'll put it back in the fridge.
Eli:  NO!  I WANT MY MILK...WAAAAAAAAHHHH  *15 minute tantrum ensues*

Last night was the first night he's slept past 6 am in a while, so that's a step back in the right direction.  Rebecca said she thinks of moments like these as Eli basically saying, "I want to be independent!  I don't want to be independent!"  That rings so true and does seem to be the big struggle.  Hopefully our household can get rid of all the little ailments and get back on track.  There is a ray of hope for Rebecca.  During one of the most recent meltdowns, Eli started screaming, "DADDY, DADDY, DADDY!"  She shot me a sideways glance, cracked a smile and mouthed, "YES!" at me.  Uh oh.  :)  

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Ahh yes, we also have a mommy-clingy 2 year old over here. She is in for a shock when her little sister is born! Thanks for your sweet comment on our blog, Rebecca. We enjoyed the snow some but are also ready for the warm weather to hopefully chase away some of the germs.

PS As bad as the "terrible twos" can be, I have heard that the threes are worse. :(