Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Big Boy Beds and Sleepy Heads

I know its ridiculous and probably unsafe, but Eli has been sleeping in his crib up until now. He loves it and why mess with a good thing? He sleeps from 7:30-8pm until 6:30 or 7 am and never tries to get out. We knew our days were numbered because he has started wearing underwear. Diapers will soon be off our grocery list! Tonight Eli did not want to wear a diaper to bed. I told him he needed to sleep in his big boy bed before he could sleep in his underwear. Tonight was the first night he said he wanted to sleep in the toddler bed, so I went with it. We did the same bedtime routine (reading books, brushing teeth, singing songs, saying 'Night, night. Sleep tight. I love you') and I didn't hear another peep. I'm not crazy enough to think it will be this easy every night, but for now, I'm very grateful. What will the morning have in store for us?

How could he not crash at night? The kid doesn't stop moving! Yesterday he paused during one of our afternoon walks and when asked what he was doing, he replied "I'm relaxing." It was odd to see him stop even if it was just for 30 seconds. Of course I thought he was having an "accident." The word "accident" takes on a whole new meaning when potty training a toddler. I won't go into all the trials and tribulations, though I will say that road trips are much more interesting and lengthy.

We're also seeing a more sensitive side to Eli. Tonight Pepper was participating in her favorite activity, counter cruising. I sternly said "Pepper, down." Eli looked at me and said "Pepper's sad. Mommy scared Pepper. Mommy are you mad at Pepper?" This parenting thing is hard. Every moment seems to be a teachable moment for all of us and sometimes that feels like a lot of pressure. Luckily, most of the time its fun.

No comments: