Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, December 6, 2010

3 year check up/tv addiction/guns



 3 year check up/ tv addiction/guns

Eli's television obsession grew to new heights over the Thanksgiving break. We were off any sort of schedule and Eli was practically begging to watch it A LOT. When he returned home on Sunday, he was quite frustrated when we wouldn't turn it on. He returned home a day after Bill and I b/c he couldn't bare to leave Nana, Papa and his cousin, Grady. He said "I'm sad. I don't want to leave Nana and Papa's" and cried uncontrollably when Bill was packing the car. He also really liked the extra tall blow-up mattress they got for him to sleep on. Sunday night Bill said that he climbed on top of the coffee table, crouched down, raised his hands as if pleading to God and asked "why am I not watching tv right now. I watch tv not all the time." 

Eli also has a new obsession with guns. He has moved to the playground with 3-5 year old kids and its a whole new world. Bill picked up Eli recently and he and 2 other boys were building w/ Duplos. In the car Bill asked what he was building and he said "we were making a gun to shoot things." Bill told him that he didn't like guns because they are dangerous and they hurt people. Eli said "Dad toy guns don't hurt people. They're pretend. Blocks don't hurt people. They're pretend." 

On our way to watch the Hillsborough Christmas parade, Eli said he was "shooting the trees." When told that I don't like guns and that they hurt people he said "I can't hurt them because they don't have eyes." When I said it is a plant and we don't want to hurt plants, he said "you're a mean mommy. Can I shoot the grass?"

At his annual check up today, he was 40.25 inches tall (95th percentile) and 35.8 lbs (75-90th percentile). Since birth he's been in the 75th percentile in both areas so he's jumped a little bit. Bill said Eli performed all the tasks the developmental checklist requested. Apparently threatening to run away is not on the checklist, but if it were, we could check it off today. He came out of his room several times tonight at bedtime and he did not like it when I stopped conversing with him about it. He said "I'm going to run away." I keep trying to convince myself that it is good that he is such a clear communicator. He also says incredibly sweet things like "you're my favorite mommy" and all the times he says the unsolicited "I love you." Tonight in the pet store he was looking at a guinea pig and said "look at this little fella." It's a lot of fun to read The Grinch Who Stole Christmas with him. He's memorized a lot of it and cracks up every time he says "Who-hash." We get him to eat these days by telling him different foods are Who-hash. Please let me know if anyone has tricks for making washing your hands and putting on your coat fun and interesting. 

Until next time, happy holidays! 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good thing you and Bill are creative people... Eli is one smart cookie! I can't wait to hear an unsolicited "I love you mommy". :) It makes me tear up just thinking about it... but it could be the hormones.